Who We Are

We are a group of students at American University in Washington DC on a mission to identify and observe how the War in Iraq and Terrorism have impacted everyday life in America. The basis behind this project stems from the concepts outlined in this New Yorker article by critic Caleb Crain.

What We Do

We observe everyday life all around us taking notice with eyes and ears of the patterns, symbols and trends generated by our culture in reaction to the terrorist attacks on September 11th, 2001 and the War in Iraq. What we look for: How Americans live their lives in the shadow of the threat of terrorism and a distant war? What parts of their discourse, clothing, and behavior suggest their perception of terrorism and war? Click here for the history and definition of mass observation.

Wednesday, December 6, 2006

"Empire"

A man approaches me as I sit on a bench on the National Mall and asks me if I will take a picture of him. He is nicely dressed in a well-fitting grey suit, and is shaven. He appears to be of Middle Eastern or Eastern European descent, and has a hint of an accent. He stands firmly in front of the Capitol Building and raises a sign on white cardboard with black lettering over his head. The sign says simply, “EMPIRE”. He asks me to make sure that the whole building and his whole body are in the photograph. I take the picture with the digital camera and then show it to him. He smiles, thanks me, and tells me to have a good day. I look around and see a blond woman in a pale blue windbreaker and jeans with a young child in a stroller stopped and staring at our interaction. When she sees me look at her she looks away.

No comments: